Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hi every one:
We are using carbon filter and rich Amine sock filter in our Amine system design.
The rich Amine flow from flash tank to carbon filter which has capacity to filter 100GPM then the rich amine go to rich Amine sock filter which has full flow capacity. I was wondering if we can install rich Amine sock filter before carbon filter as it has ability to absorb higher molecular wight contaminants. and carbon filter is design to remove low Molecular wight contaminants. please tell me if i am correct in this case. Also in this case carbon filter will be protected from larger particles.
thank you very much for your help in advance.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Process:

The sock filter just "filters" in a true mechanical sense. It literally blocks out solid contaminants by forming an obstacle. This is probably the least effective of any device in removing undesirable contaminants from a stream (liquid, solid, or suspended).

The Activated Carbon, if used properly, will ADSORB all the impurities it can (dissolved, suspended, solid) and retain them on its surface using van der Waal forces. This is totally different. IT DOES NOT DO ANY FILTERING.

Activated Carbon adsorbent will suffer attrition (dusting, or breaking up) and will cause problems down stream in instruments and other process equipment unless it is FILTERED out of the liquid stream. That is why you use a sock filter: To protect the downstream components from Activated Carbon dust and particles. Therefore, use the Sock Filter DOWNSTREAM of the Activated Carbon Adsorber.

HINT: next time, read all about what the unit operation is all about before trying to apply it in a process. Filtration is one thing; adsorption is another.

#3 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Thank you very much Mr. Art for reply.
I always read your post mostly. Because to me your post make more sense and you explains things in detail.