Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reflux Vs Recycle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a recycled and refluxed stream for the distillation process. If anyone could explain in quick detail what the differences are, I would appreciate it.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

Bucket:

In normal distillation terms, a recycle stream is one that is returned back to the distillation column (or train) in order to "re-distill" it - so to speak.

A reflux stream, on the other hand, is a nessity or a requirement of the distillation column. It constitutes a means of establishing an equilibrium at the top of the column (just below the overhead vapor outlet) such that the purity of the overhead vapor is set. The reflux liquid returned (or "recycled") to the top of the column (usually as a portion of the total overheads condensed vapor product) serves as the liquid that sets the purity level on the top tray. The relux stream is a recycle stream, but it is not recycled for the sake of re-distilling it; rather it is recycled for the purpose of setting the purity of the overheads product. It is a requirement - not an option.

I hope this serves to help you understand the two terms.