Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

3 Phase Separator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ethanhan

ethanhan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi dear all experts

I would like to understand how the Stage separator's pressure can be reduced from HP to LP ? Second, is it separator's pressure equal to fluids vapour pressure?

Regards
Ethanhan

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (ethanhan @ May 12 2009, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to understand how the Stage separator's pressure can be reduced from HP to LP ? Second, is it separator's pressure equal to fluids vapour pressure?

Ethanhan,
I assume you are referring to separators as used in oil and gas production. As the fluids leave the reservoir and flow to your first (high pressure) separator, gas is released from the liquids and separated. Water and oil (and sand) also seperate. Typically you are not applying significant heat to the produced fluids, and you are not striving for a liquid-vapor equilibrium situation as you would have, for example, in subsequent distillation processes. It's more a matter of releasing dissolved gases rather than generating vapors. I think this answers your second question, but I'm not sure how to respond to the first. Pressure is controlled by controlling the venting of the gases that are released, and liquids are then "let down" from one separator to the next (lower pressure) separator under level control.

#3 ethanhan

ethanhan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:30 AM

Djack77494

Thanks for your reply. However, how to set the operating pressure at LP or HP? Any consideration? how to get know whether it is equilibrium state?

#4 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

A major factor in all this will be consideration of the gas compressor(s). Certainly, you could set the pressures at any level you'd like. But you want levels that make sense when it comes to the compressor. Very simplistically, let's say your final stage of dewatering is at 1.5 bar[A], and that you aim for having a compression ratio of 3. So your low pressure seperator would operate at a bit over (3*1.5) = 4.5 bar[A]. Similarly, the high pressure separator would operate (3*4.5) = 13.5 bar[A]. Of course this is an extremely simplified example, and other considerations come into play.

I'm not sure what you mean about equilibrium. In general, you would have one equilibrium stage for each separator.