Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Wetted Surface Area In Fire Psv Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

Hi,
I am sizing a PSV for fire case for which I need to calculate wetted surface area of vessel. I am confused what does it mean here? I have found equation for horizontal vessels but i can’t find any equation for vertical vessels. Can anybody help me? Thanks

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hi,
I am sizing a PSV for fire case for which I need to calculate wetted surface area of vessel. I am confused what does it mean here? I have found equation for horizontal vessels but i can't find any equation for vertical vessels. Can anybody help me? Thanks

P. Engr,

Here is the equation for a vertical vessel with 2:1 ellipsoidal head
At = Aev + Acv = (1.2*Pi*D2/4) + (Pi*D*H) Where

At = total wetted area of vertical vessel Aev = wetted area of bottom ellipsoidal head

Acv = wetted area of cylindrical portion

D = diameter of vessel

H = Depth (Height) of liquid in cylindrical portion Use consistent units. I am using this equation for our fire case relief valve sizing for vertical vessels.

This formula can be traced from: "Chapter 7, Page 452, Applied Process Design for Chemical & Petrochemical Plants" by E. Ludwig

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ankur

#3 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Ankur,
Thanks for taking interest. The equation you have provided seems very simple. Take a look to the equation I was using for horizontal vessels.
A=Awet, cyl=2LR x COS-1[(R-H)/R]
Awet, head= (2.178/2п) (2R) 2 COS-1(R-H/R)

Where,

Awet, cyl = wetted surface area of the cylindrical portion of vessel, m2
Awet, head = wetted surface area of one elliptical head, m2
L = tangent-to-tangent length of the cylindrical section of the vessel, m
R = vessel inside radius, m (also equal to D/2 where D is the vessel inside diameter)
H = maximum liquid depth, m

It’s a complex equation. Have you ever used this equation for horizontal vessels?

#4 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

Ankur,
Thanks for taking interest. The equation you have provided seems very simple. Take a look to the equation I was using for horizontal vessels.
A=Awet, cyl=2LR x COS-1[(R-H)/R]
Awet, head= (2.178/2п) (2R) 2 COS-1(R-H/R)

Where,

Awet, cyl = wetted surface area of the cylindrical portion of vessel, m2
Awet, head = wetted surface area of one elliptical head, m2
L = tangent-to-tangent length of the cylindrical section of the vessel, m
R = vessel inside radius, m (also equal to D/2 where D is the vessel inside diameter)
H = maximum liquid depth, m

It's a complex equation. Have you ever used this equation for horizontal vessels?

Hi,

I thought your question was for vertical vessels. For horizontal vessels with 2:1 ellipsoidal post I have prepared an excel sheet which is posted at the following link:

http://webwormcpt.bl...e-area-for.html

This should solve your query.

Regards,
Ankur.

#5 Propacket

Propacket

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hi,

I thought your question was for vertical vessels. For horizontal vessels with 2:1 ellipsoidal post I have prepared an excel sheet which is posted at the following link:

http://webwormcpt.bl...e-area-for.html

This should solve your query.

Regards,
Ankur.
[/quote]
My question was definitely for vertical vessels but i was asking for simpler equation for horizontal vessels like your equation for vertical vessels.

#6 aaejaz

aaejaz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

Ankur,

I tried to find the reference you made in your response earlier to page 452 of the book by Ludwig. I was unable to find those equations or anything in reference to that topic in that book. I am also working on calculating surface area for hemispherical heads and spherical tanks. Do you or anyone else know if the following is correct:

FOR Vertical Vessel: A(wet,hemispherical head) = 0.5*PI*D^2

FOR Horizontal Vessel: A(wet,hemispherical head) = 0.5*PI*H*D

FOR Spherical Vessel: A(wet) = PI*D*H

Thanks!

Abby

#7 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

Ankur,

I tried to find the reference you made in your response earlier to page 452 of the book by Ludwig. I was unable to find those equations or anything in reference to that topic in that book. I am also working on calculating surface area for hemispherical heads and spherical tanks. Do you or anyone else know if the following is correct:

FOR Vertical Vessel: A(wet,hemispherical head) = 0.5*PI*D^2

FOR Horizontal Vessel: A(wet,hemispherical head) = 0.5*PI*H*D

FOR Spherical Vessel: A(wet) = PI*D*H

Thanks!

Abby

Abby,

The wetted area & vessel section volume questions have been debated so many times on the forum that I now feel that some sort of attachment giving information on this matter has become an absolute necessity. The attachment is a relevant page from the "Pressure Vessel Design Manual" by D.R. Moss for volumes & surface areas of vessel sections.

Hopefully this should go a long way in resolving the frequent questions on volumes & surface areas.

Regards,
Ankur

Attached Files

#8 aaejaz

aaejaz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Ankur,

That was definitely helpful although I am working on surface areas of partially filled vessels (wetted area). Your other postings for a horizontal vessel with 2:1 Ellipsoidal Head was a great help. I have been searching for days and this task has been more difficult than I anticipated. I found an equation from an article for calculating the surface area for a hemispherical head of a partially filled vessel (A=PI*R*H), but I have unable to verify that from any other source.

Thanks.

Abby

#9 chatpal_2005

chatpal_2005

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

I am verfying a PSV design....In which vessel(T/T) height is 3.048 m and diameter of vessel id 1.118 m. By using the above eqns I am getting answer for wetted surface area for 2:1 ellipsoidal head 13.41 m2, but according to vendor spec its 15.71 m2. Couldnot find the answer why is it so?
Please help me up. thanks in advace.

Saad

#10 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

A=2*t*D^2+pi*D*J ft2 t=0.931 2;1 ellipsoidal head J = 10 ft D 3.67 ft A 140.3755 ft2 or
my calculation : 13.04 m2

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 25 May 2012 - 12:19 AM.