Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Filter Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 amad

amad

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Dear Expert,

Is there a excell spreadsheet here for filter (separator) sizing include how to determine the number of cartridge required and nozzle calc.?

Filter is used to remove particle from gas (95% CH4) to 10 micron.

I am looking for it in this forum but still has not been found.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Amad

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

Amad ,

You need to define clearly the scope of your work ( flow rate , type of material to remove, quantity to remove, PSD of the particles,...) , and talk to the vendor .

hope this helps.

Breizh

#3 amad

amad

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Breizh,

Thank you for your quick response.
Contact and talk to vendor is a must. But if we can determine the size by the formula from GPSA, and part of data given from vendor, then we can compare our calculation to the market (vendor).

So, if any spreadsheet for filter sizing (just like spreadsheet for PSV sizing that available in this forum), it will be nice and very thank you.

Amad

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

There isn't much data in your original post, particularly with regards to operating conditions, flowrates, and liquid/solids loading in the gas stream. This potentially affects selection of the scrubbing/filtration system up to a great extent. It is not the same if the gas is dry, or it contains liquid phase/droplets, as well as if the amount of solids is in the range of miligrams or grams per 1,000 Sm3 of gas. Hence it is impossible to provide you with a simple figure or engineering solution.

#5 NoiSat

NoiSat

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

Flowrate : 5802 kg/h

density : 35.05

viscosity : 0.013 

Operating : 38 bar ; 47oC

Design : 46 bar ; 120/-3oC

removal of 99% solid 5 micron and above

Pressure drop : 0.5 bar (max)

Can you design filter with this info ?

#6 Teknas

Teknas

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hi Amad,

Unfortunately I cannot help you in sizing of filter, but as far as I understand filter selection is best left to the Vendor. Usually its a proprietary item and Vendors will not compromise even if you exhibit your calculations.

Vendors have their own designs for the cartridges. In fact the data given by you in the above post can lead to different diameters and sizes of the filter, which are dependent upon the number of filter elements being used and the size of each cartridge. You also need to specify the change out frequency because this will be a measure of over design which the Vendor incorporates in his own design. Change out time is related to your plant availability and hence needs to be conveyed to the Vendor.

I also assume that there is no liquid present in this gas, because if its present you need to provide space for liquid drop out. You may also need to go for a filter coalescer, wherein the design becomes still more critical.

I would suggest to send your query to multiple Vendors and then compare.

Regards,