Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Sizing Of Vertical/horizontal Flash Drum

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mohammad3799

Mohammad3799

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

Hi,

I know for the calculation of a separator diameter, it is recommended to use Souders-Brown equation in which the k-factor is around 0.107. But I am completely confused about how to calculate the height of the separator. I am very thankful if someone let me know how to do this calculation. Is it possible to use the property of quick sizing of the Aspen HYSYS in its rating tab to do the calculation?

Thank you

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 10:12 PM

Hi

Try this calculator:

CheCalc ‐ Equipment

Get a copy of GPSA to support your work.

If you use the search engine in this forum, you will see references from Bobby with link to his website.

Good luck

Breizh 

#3 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 08:51 AM

What does this separator separate? Where is it installed? What for are the calculation results going to be used? Who recommended to use Souders-Brown equation?

http://www.bobby-str...m/Default.aspx#

https://cheguide.com..._separator.html

Edited by shvet1, 11 March 2024 - 08:51 AM.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:42 AM

Here is a site with lots of calculations. But I can't vouch for any of them. You will need to verify calculations yourself.

https://www.enground.com/   I believe separators here use GPA procedures.

Please note that most available calculations use the same set of equations that are readily understood. It's the criteria that matters! And most use what I call "poke & hope". And it's impossible to determine equations in a spreadsheet using cell formulas. And most online calculations use Java Script which is jumble except to the developer.

I recently completed a desktop application for sizing vertical separators. I will post it on my website in the next several days for download. You only need to register and login for access. It's for US units only. There are already online apps for SI units. No login is required. With all, there is an Excel workbook to produce a datasheet complete with drawing from the results. And there is lots of other stuff, too. If you download them and use them, and you experience any problems, let me know via email. My website URL is in my profile.

The sample provided for horizontal separator has not been updated for a few years, but the sizing is pretty good. Check it out!

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 11 March 2024 - 10:46 PM.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:55 PM

It is now posted.

Bobby