Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Nitrogen Flow Rate

flow rate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 atiq124

atiq124

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Nitrogen pressure is set at 25 psig using a pressure regulator in 2" pipe and the temperature of gas is 25 degree C. The pipe size is then reduced to 1" after 10 meters. How do we calculate the flow rate of Nitrogen in 2" and 1" pipe from this given information ?

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

Is the outlet pressure of 1" pipe 0 psig?

#3 atiq124

atiq124

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hi Shan, the pressure at the outlet of 1" is unknown, there is no pressure gauge on the line, 25psig is known from the gauge on pressure regulator on 2" line which is reduced from 6.4 barg. Thanks

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

I think either the isothermal compressible flow equation or the adiabatic compressible flow equation would give you about the same answer in your case.  But, without the pressure drop the equations cannot be solved.

Edited by latexman, 11 August 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#5 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

Refer the attached excel calculation. The mass flow rate remains same throughout the pipe. That's the key!

Attached Files

#6 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

As stated by others, you must have the pressure at the end of the 1" line to be able to calculate the flowrate.  But one "trick" worth knowing if you are doing the calculations by hand is how to treat the two different sized pipes in series as one calculation.  The stepped pipe would not be a problem if you know the flow and want to calculate the pressure drop, but the reverse calculation requires trial and error and this gets complicated when you have two different sizes in series

I have written up an example that explains this method of modeling the stepped pipe with one equivalent pipe of constant diameter at

http://www.katmarsof...o-example07.htm

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

samayaraj:

The correct term for sonic gas flow is "CHOKED" flow.  It is NOT chocked flow.  The term choke means to throttle; the term chock means to wedge or block (as from movement).   Sonic flow is being throttled and maintains a constant gas mass flow rate.

I don't know why, but a lot of chemical engineers from India keep using the wrong term for sonic flow.  Some Fluid Mechanics professor must have started the fashion of using the wrong term and it has continued to date.

#8 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

If there is a risk of choked flow occurring, then when using the modeling method I referred to above the smaller diameter pipe of the two should be used to model the line.  Using the larger diameter would of course give the wrong velocity and would not make it clear if there is a risk of getting choked flow.

samayaraj - it seems that your spreadsheet is checking for choked flow in the final nozzle only.  Or are you checking for sonic velocity in the piping as well?

#9 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

samayaraj:

The correct term for sonic gas flow is "CHOKED" flow. It is NOT chocked flow. The term choke means to throttle; the term chock means to wedge or block (as from movement). Sonic flow is being throttled and maintains a constant gas mass flow rate.

I don't know why, but a lot of chemical engineers from India keep using the wrong term for sonic flow. Some Fluid Mechanics professor must have started the fashion of using the wrong term and it has continued to date.

Thanks for the correction Mr. Art. It was my mistake and not by my professors. It's a general mistake done by all young engineers and not only Indians. I'll correct it hereafter.

Edited by samayaraj, 11 August 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#10 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:22 PM

samayaraj - it seems that your spreadsheet is checking for choked flow in the final nozzle only. Or are you checking for sonic velocity in the piping as well?

Dear Mr. Katmar,

Ya this spreadsheet is used to find the choked flow in the nozzle only.