Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Upstream Pipe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

HI Every One:
I need to find the Design Temperature and Pressure for Upstream and Downstream pipe? I was told that whatever the design Temperature and pressure of the Equipment or vessel is, the design temperature and pressure of the downstream pipe will be same.

Example: If the Design Temperature and Pressure of filter is 200 F and 1200 psig, the design temperature and pressure of down stream will be 200 F and 1200 psig respectively.
Is that Correct? If not can any one please help me.
Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

process,
The blanket statement you make is an overly conservative approach. Quick "recipes" that try to eliminate the need for thinking often produce unsatisfactory results.

You should look at the peice of equipment being referenced. Sometimes, there is a pressure and/or temperature increase in moving between the inlet and outlet sides of the equipment; e.g. pumps, compressors, etc. Othertimes there is a pressure and/or temperature decrease. In all cases, there is no substitute to understanding what combinations of pressure and temperature will exist for your various scenarios, including worst case(s). It is the extremes that will determine the design conditions, and the extremes of the piping may differ from the extremes of the equipment.