Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Structured Packing In Distillation Column Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 EddyHyip

EddyHyip

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

I'm sorry to bother but can anyone recommend a good reference book to design structured packing in distillation column. Stuffs that I learn in school aren't enough and mostly focused on tray design.

Currently, I'm using Richard and Coulson's Vol 3, Albright's Chemical Engineering Handbook as primary reference. Technical data's are obtained from packing manufacturers ( their sites and technical brochure)

I may not be the best engineering student so you may bash me for my lack of knowledge but at least I'm a resourceful to look for many reference and ask the same thing in the forum, looking for more.

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

EddiyHyip,

Have a look in the 'Packed Tower' (Section 13.13) chapter of the book:

Chemical Process Equipment , Selection & Design by "Stanley M Walas"

It gives an excellent description of the various standard packings as well proprietary packings, both of the random and structured type used in packed towers. Information includes packing factors and pressure drop behaviour.

Good luck in obtaining this information.

Regards,
Ankur.

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Also, there is a book called "Packed tower design and applications: Random and structured packings", by Ralph Strigle.

In addition, visit Koch-Glitsch (KG-Tower) and Sulzer (Sulcol) websites for downloading free software for evaluating different types of packing - these can give you very good sense for evaluating performance parameters of various internals.

#4 astro

astro

Gold Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

As per my suggestion here:
Gas / Liquid Separation
Have a look to see what FRI suggest.

#5 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

Kister's Distillation design will cover just about everything for packed column design.

Choosing the type of packing can be critical. So further consult Sulzer so as to get HETP and pressure drop values.

What is your application by the way?

#6 smalawi

smalawi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Distillation Deisgn

http://books.google....VJ4zukgT555GVBA

Distillation operation

http://books.google....fGZPYlQS73pSMBA

#7 ARAZA

ARAZA

Gold Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hi There,

Visit packing manufacturer's websites such Jaegar, Sulzer, Glitch, you'll find tone of information such as charts explaining the relation between gas / liquid rates Vs DP.

Hope this helps,

ARAZA

QUOTE (EddyHyip @ Feb 25 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry to bother but can anyone recommend a good reference book to design structured packing in distillation column. Stuffs that I learn in school aren't enough and mostly focused on tray design.

Currently, I'm using Richard and Coulson's Vol 3, Albright's Chemical Engineering Handbook as primary reference. Technical data's are obtained from packing manufacturers ( their sites and technical brochure)

I may not be the best engineering student so you may bash me for my lack of knowledge but at least I'm a resourceful to look for many reference and ask the same thing in the forum, looking for more.