Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Condenser Temperature Control Unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 echnat0n

echnat0n

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

I'am looking for a unit or system to control the temperature of the condensor. The streams that are available are the following:
- cooling water at ambient temperature
- chilled water at 5-7°C
- Steam at 3-4 bar

Is it possible to use these streams (one or more) to create a system to use water of 85°C at one moment and perhaps some hours later water of 40°C and followed by perhaps 60°C, 20°C....
The water will be used to control the condensor temperature during reaction times with the possibility to set a setpunt of the water used for heat exchange with the product side in a shell and tube heat exchanger.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

echnat0n:

I do not understand clearly what you are proposing to do. You do not give us basic data:

• A detailed sketch of the system;
  • The vapor composition being condensed;
  • The type and configuration of the condenser being used;
  • The detailed reason why you want to employ different fluids to “create” a cooling system. You should explain what are your goals and how you justify mixing/creating cooling water of different temperatures.
I understand that you have a reactor that produces a vapor overhead product. You are condensing this overhead vapor. I also have to presume that you are MERELY CONDENSING the overhead product – not subcooling it. If that is the case, why are you concerned with the cooling medium being at different temperatures? As long as you are able to drop out the saturated condensate, there should be no problem. Please explain.