Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vapor Liquid Equilibrium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mariouma

Mariouma

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hello Everyone, I found this old exam, and I am not able to resolve it, Not sure if information is missing... anyway here's the text, maybe someone can help on how to proceed with such a problem:

"In a Petrochemical factory hydrocarbons for cracking are transported by pipes.The pressure and the temperature in the pipes are kept at 5atm and 56 C respectively.

Calculate the maximum quantity of pentane that can be added to an equimolar mixture of propane and n-butane without causing condensation".

Thanks folks

#2 pavanayi

pavanayi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Mariouma,

Since I have no idea what tools you have/had to solve this problem, I will provide a general guideline.

1. Assume an initial flow rate in the pipeline of propane and n-butane. Ex: 50 moles/hour of each, totalling an initial flow rate of 100 moles/hour. Find the dew point of this mixture.

2. Now assume you are adding pentane to this mixture. I would start with an initial guess of 20 moles/hour. Find the dew-point of the mixture at 5atm. If it is less than 56°C, the mixture is still a vapour, which means it can take more pentane. If the calculated dew-point is more than 56°C, it means the mixture is already condensing and there is too much pentane already in the pipeline.

3. Modify the initial pentane flow rate and repeat step 2 untill you have an answer of acceptable tolerance.

4. When you have the maximum additional pentane flow rate in moles/hour, you can have the answer in any format (ex: mole fractions)

Edited by pavanayi, 27 September 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#3 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

Dear Mariouma

Pavanayi has explained the method. I have run PRO-II and I got folllowing answer:

We can add 6.8 kmol of pentane to every 100 kmol of the equi-molar mixture of propane and butane. This gives a molar composition of C3=C4=0.4682 and C5 = 0.0636

The 5 atm is absolute pressure. If the 5 tam is gauge pressure then the answer is that we can add 4.8 kmol of pentane to 100 kmol of the propane-butane equimolar mixture.

The answer may be different if you are using different method of VLE equation. I am using BWR EOS.

For approximate answer, you can use Dalton's law by taking vapor pressure of each component at 56 C.