Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Problem With Labeling Information.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

iam stuck with this problem .. so i guessed maybe you guys can help .. i am just finidng diffculty labeling the information written into actual mathmatical relation .. so i hope u guys can clarify it to me ...

i was asked to do a material balance for a benzoic acid plant , consisting many heat exchanged a decanter , reactor and flash vacum distillation column ...

so when i came to the distillation column unit , i was stuck .. heres the description of the unit ... " note : i dont want you guys to solve the material balance , i just need some 1 to explain me what he means with such process description "

so , when i made the calculation .. the feed to the distillation column consisted of :
n(feed) = 58.43 kmol
y(toluene) = 0.7263 mol T / mol
y(benzoic) = 0.2571 mol b / mole
y(water) = 0.0733 mol w / mol

desciption :
the crude oil product from the reactor passes to a distilation column operated at 1 atm . the reduction in pressure caused one third of the feed to be vaporised and the feed enters at 120 degrees celsius . the distillate contains toluene and water in the same molar proportions as those in the feed togather with small amount of benzoic acid . 99% of the toluene is recovered in the distillate which then flows to the decanter.

i attached the flow sheet of the distillation unit .

Thank you for your time

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   44.38KB   4 downloads

Edited by waka11, 04 November 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#2 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Attached "balance.xls" contains interpretation and comments to my understanding, hopefully helpful to some extent.

Attached Files

Edited by kkala, 13 November 2011 - 05:37 AM.