Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Demineralized Water Spec For Hydrolysis Of Palm Kernel Oil?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process.eng88

process.eng88

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

I have read that Hydrolysis (Fat-Splitting) Process for Palm Kernel Oil requires demineralized water.
(De-aearation of water is also desirable)

I've also read that for every particular application a required electrical conductivity of water is used.

Can someone kindly inform me how much electrical conductivity of water is required in the Hydrolysis (Fat-Splitting) Process for Palm Kernel Oil such as the continuous Colgate-Emory process.

I couldn't find this information in literature.

#2 wnovaes

wnovaes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Dear student 88,

The use of demineralized water in the Colgate-Emory process for fatty oil hydrolysis is basically a metallurgy requirement. The fatty oil hydrolysis reaction to produces fatty acids and glycerin is held at high temperatures and pressures (250 oC and 55 bars). The environment into the hydrolysis reactor is extremely aggressive too. The standard construction for the hydrolysis reactors around the world is based on a carbon steel shell with a stainless steel cladding. Because the high temperature and the use of stainless steel, the presence of mineral impurities (mainly chlorides) must be avoid or the hydrolysis reactor will face severe problems of pitting corrosion. Again, inside of the hydrolysis rector the environment is extremely aggressive and the reactor could corrode very fast. In our process, the basic specification for the demineralized water is:

Conductivity: 0.3 µS/cm (max);
Silica: 0.02 wt ppm (max);
PH: 6.5 - 7.5.

Unfortunately above is the maximum information that I can share with you. I hope may have helped you.

Bests regards,
William Novaes.