Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Modes Of Heattransfer In Heat Exchanger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kumaqal.engr

kumaqal.engr

Veteran Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

i want to know about the modes of heat transfer in Heat Exchanger, in my opnion heat can be transfer in two ways by convection and coduction. if any one give me detail answer . Thankyou

#2 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:30 AM

Yes, the two majors modes are convection and conduction. A third mode is radiation. But the intensity of the heat transfer can be much different if you have a phase change (boiling/condensing), or not.
Even if you limit yourself to boiling, you will have big differences if you have film boiling, pool boiling. You will need to refer to a good heat transfer book (Kern, ....) to determinine what mode you are in or what mode you want to promote.
Because this impacts on the heat exchanger design a lot.

It would be useful also to have a look at the Perry. Should it be unavailable yto you, I quote the definition of the two modes, from Perry.
Conduction is the transfer of heat from one part of the body to another, with physical contact, without appreciable displacement of the particles of the bodt.
Convection is the transfer of heat from one point to another within a fluid, by the mixing of one part with another. A further distinction is FORCED convection and NATURAL convection. In NATURAL convection the movement of the fluid is just induced by the density difference, the fluid heated beeing lighter. In most heat exchangers of the chemical industry, we have forced convection.

Kumalq, you posted a similar request on the professional Forum. It's a duplicated, I will delete it.