Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Temperature Of Mixed Streams

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Keekooceeaou_*

Guest_Keekooceeaou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:09 AM

Hi,

I have one question: how to calculate temperature of mixed liquids?
Let's say that I have two streams: water solutions of sulphuric acid at different concentrations and temperatures. Assuming, that no phase change occurs, I want to find temperature of mixed stream.
I know concentrations, flowrates and specific heats of all three streams, and temperatures of two inlet streams.

Thanks in advance for Your help.

#2 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hello Keekooceeaou,

The heat of solution being neglected, the following equation shall be met based on the energy balance.

m1*Cp1*(t-t1)+m2*Cp2*(t-t2)+.....+mi*Cpi*(t-ti)+..=0 .........(1)

where, mi, Cpi, ti are mass(or mass rate), specific heat and temperature for i-th stream respectively, and t temperature of the mixture.

(Σmi*Cpi)* t = Σ(mi*Cpi*ti).........................(2)

Therefore t = Σ(mi*Cpi*ti)/(Σmi*Cpi)..........(3)

If all specific heats are equal, then t = Σ(mi*ti)/Σ(mi)......(3a)

For dilute sulfuric acid solutions the above equations can be applied, but enthalpy-concentration-temperature diagram is required for the mixing of high-concentration sulfuric acids.

Enthalpy balance: Total enthalpy H = (Σmi*hi) = (Σmi)*h --> h =(Σmi*hi)/(Σmi) --> find t from H-C-T diagram having specific enthalpy of h at the mixture concentration.

sgkim

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:10 AM

Thank You very much for Your answer. But could you explain the above equation?
I mean, what are H, h and hi, because I'm confused a bit.
I understand, that to get temp. of stream3 (mixed stream) from H-C-T diagram, I need enthalpy and concentration of this stream. But I don't exactly know, how to calculate H of stream3.

PS. Is it possible to calculate it without diagram? I'd like to create a program that will calculate it, so i need proper equations.

Thanks,
Keek

#4 Guest_Keekooceeaou_*

Guest_Keekooceeaou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:12 AM

OOps, i forgot to enter my nick.

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

Keek:

I believe the reason you are confused with the equations that sgkim gave is because he left out the basic premise of developing the equations:

What goes in = What goes out

The above basic equation applies to mass and heat. That is why the "Golden Rule" of all Chemical Engineers should be: "When in doubt and confused, make a heat and mass balance." This old rule still works. All Sgkim has done is make a heat and mass balance. The best way to learn engineering is to develop or derive the equations yourself. That way, you never froget the relationships and you certainly understand the basic and fundamental concepts involved. Try it yourself .....

m1 + m2 = m3

Qi = mi Cpi (T2 - T1)
or,
Qi = mi (H2 - H1)

You have to rely on enthalpy values when you deal with dilute solutions because the specific heats of the dilute solutions are very close to each other and the enthalpies are more accurate.

I think I'm correct in stating the above. I'll let Sgkim elaborate on anything I've stated that is not correct or what was meant.

#6 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

Be very careful when calculating the temperature of the mixture of sulfuric and water.
Unless both stream are weak(dilute) sulfuric, you may get large temperature raise due to the so called "heat of dilution"
You need to work with enthalpies, as stated earlier. The figure 3-40 of Perry's handbook (5th Ed) can help you undestand
If we mix 1 lb of 20% acid at 70°F I have (approx) an enthalpy of -30 Btu/lb (ref state liquid, zero at 32°F)
with 1 lb of acid at 80% I have -100 Btu/lb

As a result I have a stream that is 50% (mass balance) with enthalpy of -(100+30)/2=-65 Btu/lb, yielding a temperature of about 140°F

This calculation is approximate only. Refer to tables to get exact enthalpy-concentration-temperature relation.

#7 Guest_Keekooceeaou_*

Guest_Keekooceeaou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thank you all for replies.

I mixed 8.6 kg of 72% H2SO4 at 40 deg. C (stream1) and 11 kg of 4,5% H2SO4 at 65 deg. C (stream2).
I got 19.6 kg of acid with conc. approx. 34%.
From tables i got enthalpies of these solutions: stream1: 19,16 kcal/kg and stream2: 61,8 kcal.kg.

I calculated enthalpy of mixed stream and got ~40 kcal/kg at concentration of about 34%, which puts me out of temp. scale on H-T-C diagram (temperature higher than boiling point?).

In earlier calculations I always got temperature of mixed stream about 80 deg, now I'm not sure if my method was wrong.
Here's what I had done:

I calculated temperature of stream from energy balance, using specific heats and got
T`3=58 deg. C.
Then I calculated heat of dilution from formula:

Q=Qc3*C3*m3-Qc1*C1*m1-Qc2*C2*m2,

where Qci is total heat of dilution of solution, Ci - concentration [kg of acid/kg of solution] and mi - mass (in kg or kg/s).

Finally, I calculated T3:

T3=T`3+Q/(Cp3*m3) and got about 80 deg. C.

Is this method totally incorrect?

If someone finds some spare time, please check it.

Best regards,
Keek

#8 Guest_Keekooceeaou_*

Guest_Keekooceeaou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

One more thing.

I think, that I've make some mistake in calculationg Enthalpies.
I've just solved this problem graphically on H-C-T diagram, and got temp. of stream3 about 80 deg. C.

Keek

#9 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:03 AM

It is very straightforward if you follow Art Montemayor's approach:

8.6 kg x 19.16 kcal/kg = 164.78 kcal enthalpy
11 kg x 61.8 kcal/kg = 679.8 kcal
Total 19.6 kg and 844.58 kcal
Enthalpy of mixed stream = 43.1 kcal/kg at 34% acid.
Find H=43.1 and C=34% on your diagram and read the temperature.

#10 Guest_Keekooceeaou_*

Guest_Keekooceeaou_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

Yes, i did it that way, and got the same result. Then i looked on the diagram and it turned out, that this point (C=34%, H=43 kcal/kg) is over temperature scale.

But i solved it also graphically:
I marked point P1 at C=72%, t=40C, then marked point P2 at C=4,5%, t=65C. Then i made line between those two points, and found point P3, at crossing of that line with concentration 34%. That's how I found enthalpy of about 5 kcal/kg and temperature 80C.

I would say, that graphical solution is correct (graphical method was explained in book where I found diagram so I'm almost sure that I do it right), but that would mean, that there's some error in Art Montemayor's approach (we can't have two different results that are both correct, can we? ;-).

#11 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

Please find here a graph, with detailed calculations

Data Stream 1 8.6 kilos at 72%wt at 40°C H=-100 BTU/lb, more or less left point
Stream 2 11 kilos at 4.5% at 65°C H=+100 BTU/lb

mass balance mixture is (8.6*72+11*4.5)/(8.6+11)=34%

heat balance Hmix=(-100*8.6 + 100*11)/(8.6+11)= +12.2 BTU/lb

back to the graph at the intersection of 34% and 12.2, we read about 185°F 85°C

Attached File  sulfu.bmp   56.17KB   158 downloads

#12 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (sgkim @ Mar 16 2006, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Keekooceeaou,

The heat of solution being neglected, the following equation shall be met based on the energy balance.

m1*Cp1*(t-t1)+m2*Cp2*(t-t2)+.....+mi*Cpi*(t-ti)+..=0 .........(1)

where, mi, Cpi, ti are mass(or mass rate), specific heat and temperature for i-th stream respectively, and t temperature of the mixture.

(Σmi*Cpi)* t = Σ(mi*Cpi*ti).........................(2)

Therefore t = Σ(mi*Cpi*ti)/(Σmi*Cpi)..........(3)

If all specific heats are equal, then t = Σ(mi*ti)/Σ(mi)......(3a)

For dilute sulfuric acid solutions the above equations can be applied, but enthalpy-concentration-temperature diagram is required for the mixing of high-concentration sulfuric acids.

Enthalpy balance: Total enthalpy H = (Σmi*hi) = (Σmi)*h --> h =(Σmi*hi)/(Σmi) --> find t from H-C-T diagram having specific enthalpy of h at the mixture concentration.

sgkim

To follow with Art Montemayor's comment on my posting, I would like to add to my posting cited above:

Equation(1) holds true only if specific heats do not change with temperature and no heat of dilution is involved.
So equations (3) or (3a) are not accurate and can be applied only for rougth estimation assuming that no heat of dilution is involved and that the specific heats do not change in the temperature range concerned.

Instead, the temperature of the mixture shall be calculated from the "Enthalpy Balance" as described in the last paragraph.

Stream 1...Total Enthalpy, H1 = h1*m1, mass m1, concentration C1
Stream 2...Total Enthalpy, H2 = h2*m2, mass m2, concentration C2
Mixture: Total Enthalpy, H = H1+ H2+.....,
total mass, m= m1+m2+....,
concentration of the mxture, c = (m1*c1+m2c2..)/m
specific enthalpy of the mixture, h = H/m

From H-C-T diagram find t (from h and c)

Both siretb and joerd have already posted the same method.
Thanks for your comment Art Montemayor,

sgkim