Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Storage Tank Vacuum Breather

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rasprocess

rasprocess

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi

I want to check the size of a vacuum breaker for a gasoline tank. I need some help for introducing a calculation method or a refrence for calculation.

thanks a lot in advanced

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

rasprocess,

If the vacuum breaker is an existing one, you should use relevant vendor's design/sizing guideleines, curves or equations to check the size if can handle the worst credible vacuum condition inside the tank...

Edited by fallah, 04 August 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#3 rasprocess

rasprocess

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi   Mr fallah

before receiving vendor information and sizing , I'd like to clculate a preliminary size. but I do not have any reference.

#4 Marc-Andre Leblanc

Marc-Andre Leblanc

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hi rasprocess,

If you are looking for information relevent to how to size a vacuum vent on a storage tank , I suggest you get the API 2000 venting atmospheric and low-pressure storage tanks. It include a lot of informations including list of credible scenarios and equations to size vents. 

Without more information, relevant sketch of the process and normal operating procedure I cannot go further to help because a lot of factors can come into play and they can be tricky to detect.

Experience in the field and sound engineering are required to size this kind of equipement, especially considering the value and risks involving the protected equipement. 

Regards

Marc-Andre Leblanc

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

rasprocess,

As a general rule, the required incoming air flow rate at a specified vacuum should be received by the tank through a cross sectional area in which the air velocity to be a bit lower than sonic velocity i.e. far enough from choked flow condition. That cross sectional area represents aproximate size of the required vacuum breaker...

Edited by fallah, 04 August 2014 - 03:28 PM.