Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flare Tip Type

flare tip pipe liquid burner

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kimchiliciosa

kimchiliciosa

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Hi, I have a question about flare tips

I know that if you burn gas you can use a pipe flare tip and if you burn liquid you will use a liquid burner one, my question is how about burning a mix of both gas and condensate, you can assume I will burn 100 MMscfd of Gas and 6500 BBL of condensate so What kind of flare tip should I choose for this case? 

Any suggestion please 

Thank you

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

hi,

For burning a gas and liquid mixture you need a burn pit and a ground flare design. You cannot use an elevated flare for gas-liquid mixture since any incomplete combustion or partial burning at an elevated flare due to any pilot failure can lead to burning rain and crate a serious hazard to personnel and environment. That is the primary reason that you have a Flare Knockout drum upstream of an elevated flare to ensure all liquid is knocked out in the knockout drum and only gas is burnt at the elevated flare.

Most vendors such as John Zink, Callidus and Zeeco can provide a "Totally Enclosed Ground Flare" which can handle a gas-liquid mixture. You are advised to contact these reputed vendors to get an idea of the design and cost of such ground flares.

Regards,

Ankur.

#3 kimchiliciosa

kimchiliciosa

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Thank you for your response ankur2061

In fact I have already designed the burn pit and I am using an horizontal flare stack, but I am not sure about the tip type, because I wonder what will happen for example If I burn gas in a liquid burner tip or liquid in a pipe tip,

In othe words  what is the difference in structure for these kind of tips that make them work with a gas or a liquid. 

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using a simulator and I know that I can buy a tip for this mixture, I am just not sure about the tip type I should select for the run since I dont get too much options on there.

Regards.

#4 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:18 AM

hi,

All ground flares shall be smokeless design. John Zink has a product (flare tip) "Kaldair Condair" which seems capable of handling liquids also.

Regards,

Ankur 

#5 Poe

Poe

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

kimchiliciosa; I think the question is about what is the matematical basis of the selection of TIP in FLARESIM, if it is PIPE or welltest. What happens if i use welltest and i there will be only Gas. 

best regards