Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Surface Area Determination

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 etukjoshua

etukjoshua

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

My research project involves characterising a botanical material(dry seed pods of Hura crepitans) as random packings. I don't know any means of determining the surface area since the material is not regular. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.Attached File  images.jpg   7.66KB   0 downloads

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

I might try to spray the pods with adhesive, then coat them with fine sand. Measure the amount of sand by weight difference. Then compare the amount of sand that sticks to a flat surface of known area to determine the pod surface area.

#3 etukjoshua

etukjoshua

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Is this a standard method? I am using the results for an academic research work.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

The details of the sand method of surface area measurement have not yet been published by the International Pod Scientific Institute, so you should verify its accuracy in your research. Perhaps ping pong balls or other regular 3-D shapes could be used as controls instead of a flat shape. Determine surface area of the balls by mensuration. The surface area should not change if the balls are dented or deformed so these could still serve as a known surface area for comparison. For the average surface area of non-uniform pods, I think the inherent variability in the sand method will be outweighed by the variability between pods. Good luck on your research and I hope your work leads to great success. The Pilesar-etokjoshua pod measurement method may make us both famous one day!

#5 etukjoshua

etukjoshua

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:26 AM

Thank you sir. I hope so too