Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vent Sizing For Storage Tank

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ssholkar

ssholkar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

Hello ,

Actually I am working on design of one storage tank.

So everyday after using the product from storage tank, the tank undergoes through CIP cycles (i.e Hot Caustic CIP --> Cold water flush --> Hot  Acid CIP --> Cold water flush etc.)

After Hot CIP drain the tank becomes empty but still  there are water vapors in the tank and in this scenario if we add cold water through spray ball for water flush then vapors inside the tank starts condensing and may implode the tank.

To avoid the tank implosion we have to install vent on tank Top and we want to calculate the diameter of vent.

So do you any idea about this sizing.

Tank Volume - 25 m3

Injected water through spray ball - 12m3/hr

Temp of injected water - 25 deg C

Air temperature - 30 deg C

Thank you in advance

Br,

Holkar

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:25 AM

Holkar,

It's a vacuum venting...

Anyway, the vent size does really depend on how fast the injected water would settle the existing steam inside the tank. So fast will lead to bigger vent size.

You can, and just you can, estimate the rate of steam (25 m3 and around 100 C) condensation using the rate of water injection (12 m3/hr and 25 C) and its distribution form inside the tank. 

Let's suppose almost all steam will be condensed by 5 minutes from starting the injection; then the vent line should be sized for inbreathing 25 m3 atmospheric air at 30 C within 5 minutes.means with a flow rate of 300 m3/hr.

#3 ssholkar

ssholkar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Hi Fallah, Thank you for your reply.

Actually I didn't get about how the 5 min time is selected?

Because we have our earlier observation and we found the tank implode in some seconds time.

Do you have any idea about how to calculate the time required for condensation after water injection and the amount of air sucked in the tank from vent?

Because I was thinking to assume any vent size and for this vent size and with this air flow (sucked air) we can calculate the air velocity through vent and then with that velocity we can calculate the pressure drop in the tank.

If the drop is on higher side then increase the vent diameter & again check till we get very less pressure drop. 

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:59 AM

Holkar,

The mentioned 5 minutes is a typical value and it might be much lower; but, as i mentioned, it depends on distribution type and how much the injection could be effective. As you would find the required air flow rate you can size the vacuum vent line with a fixed length and configuration. Care should be taken to limit the air velocity through the vent adequately below the sonic velocity.

#5 Karthikeyan. Chemical

Karthikeyan. Chemical

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

I have to size the vent line for an atmosphere storage tank.

Tank capacity : 50 KL

Inlet flow : 10 m³/hr

Outlet flow : 10 m³/hr

And also find out the breathing in & breathing out of storage tank.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hi ,

let you consider the document attached.

good luck,

Breizh

#7 ssholkar

ssholkar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

Actually I couldn't find my scenario in this document, I mean internal condensation because of water injection.  Do u have any idea in this case?

Holkar