Jump to content



Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

0

Over Flow Line Sizing


4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 usama.iqbal

usama.iqbal

    Brand New Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

Hi!!

I am trying to size an over low of a atmospheric tank, although i know the basic rules of thumb for sizing over flow line (One inch size greater/ equal to max inlet line size) but in my case actually inlet line has gravity flow from a height of 14 m with 6 inch diameter. i have performed line sizing of over flow on aspen hysys, if i go with DP approach across inlet line and over flow line that doesn't fruitful because gravity flow has low DP than horizontal flow. please help me out on what basis should i go for sizing over flow line of this tank.

 

Thanks in advance.



#2 breizh

breizh

    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

https://www.cheresou...ow-line-sizing/

 

Hi ,

Consider to use the search engine in this forum , this topic has been discussed several times.

 

Good luck,

Breizh



#3 latexman

latexman

    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 986 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

Basically, the backpressure in the tank during worst case overflow scenario cannot exceed that allowed by the Code the tank was designed and built to.



#4 usama.iqbal

usama.iqbal

    Brand New Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:56 AM

Breizh i think i was unable to give clear picture of scenario, for clarity i have attached process flow kindly help me out on this.

Attached Files


Edited by usama.iqbal, 02 June 2018 - 03:02 AM.


#5 katmar

katmar

    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

Breizh has pointed you in exactly the right direction. Based on the drawing you have now submitted, I believe that if you follow the link that Breizh gave you, you download Art Montemayor's spreadsheet with the Hills procedure and you follow that logic in your design there is a 99% chance that it will cover everything you need.  If you fall into the 1% that is not covered (because there is other information that you have not explained to us) then follow Breizh's second suggestion and do some searching on this forum and the internet in general.  And if you still have problems then write a post explaining what you have done and what your problem still is.

 

If you are going to be lazy and follow rules of thumb or ask other engineers to do your work for you, you will never get anywhere.






Similar Topics