Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Air Separation Unit: Size And Dimensions

air separation unit cryogenics sizing asu oxygen production liquid oxygen cryogenic separation

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ciamba87

ciamba87

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

Good afternoon, I can't find anywhere the size of an existing air separation process plant, I found a range of 100-5000 tonn/day for production and a range of 15-60 m height and 2-4 m each side for "cold box" dimensions. I didn't find a relationship between these two data. I imagine that it depends on technology and each setup has its own specification but could you provide any reliable example or references? 

Thank you,

Alessio

Edited by ciamba87, 29 January 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#2 Bodhisatya

Bodhisatya

Gold Member

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

Good afternoon, I can't find anywhere the size of an existing air separation process plant, I found a range of 100-5000 tonn/day for production and a range of 15-60 m height and 2-4 m each side for "cold box" dimensions. I didn't find a relationship between these two data. I imagine that it depends on technology and each setup has its own specification but could you provide any reliable example or references? 

Thank you,

Alessio

I really can't fathom, how will this data help you. Why on earth do you need this sort of strange data?

I have engineered and operated plants from 50 TPD to 5500 TPD. Each unit having different configurations and thus Cold Box dimensions.

Cold Boxes having Main Heat exchangers inside them will be wider than Plants which have separate MHE Boxes. Columns which are trayed or have top hat columns or collect Liquid Liquid N2 at top of LP Column will have different height, there ain't any thumb rule , all depends on what the process needs and how pipping modelling is done.

Sorry to say, I find this question very non-relevant.

Regards

Bodhisatya.

#3 ciamba87

ciamba87

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

Dear Bodhisatya, I need mean data because I am not interested in a specific configuration of air separation unit but I need to make an idea about how much it could be big to decide if and where it could be used. I don't need to focus on a specific configuration but if you say, for example that you have engineered a 5000 tpd cold box with technology is 50 meters tall and 6 meter long each side and a 5000 tpd cold box with oxygen pump is 60 meters tall and 4 meters long each side I would draw the conclusions.

Thank you for your observations,

Alessio