Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Resistance Coefficient Of Tees In A Pipe

tee line sizing resistance coefficient

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 12:47 AM

Hello everyone,

Could you please share with me some of your knowledge on the K values calculation for tee when you have mixing or splitting of the main flow.
I would be interested in knowing how the correlations for K are developed.

Thank you in advance!

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

Consider this resource :

http://www.pressure-drop.mobi/

note : you should get a copy of Flow of fluid through valves, fittings and pipe -Technical paper N0 410M  by Crane .

Another very good option is to buy Katmar's Software , check the details on Internet   @   Katmar  , Aioflow .

Breizh 

#3 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:33 AM

Hi Breizh,

Thanks for the software. I found the book of crane. It looks quite interesting and informative. I didn't know it before.
I hope to find if there is any rule of thumb on how many bends can be placed in a pipe (as a first estimation).

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:43 AM

Hi,

Your question about bends make non sense to me . You use them as necessary , you may perform an hydraulic calculation of your system to optimize their number and size together with the pipe diameter , this should be part of the scope of any process engineer.

My view

Breizh 

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:21 PM

Panagiotis:

You should read carefully what Breizh writes.  He is correct in all he states and the information he recommends.  Cranes's Technical Paper 410 is the classic document on fluid flow.  Every engineer involved with fluids should read, study, and master it.

There are various ways to deal with pipe fittings when calculating the pressure drop across them:

1. Equivalent length
  2. 2-K Method
  3. 3-K Method

For detail information go to: https://neutrium.net...-head-k-method/

Your thread on how many "bends" can be installed on a pipeline made no sense, so I did not respond to it.  Breizh stated it correctly.  If it makes no sense, it is called "nonsense".  You can use as many fittings as can tolerate the pressure drop you are willing to apply to them.   There is a wealth of information on fluid flow in the internet that is free as well as in our own ChE Resources Library.  All you have to do is look there and study the material.  I have even furnished spreadsheets on the subject.

You must give Basic Data details about what you are confronting as a problem in order to obtain good, detailed responses and recommendations from our fellow members.  The quality of the responses is directly proportional to the quality of the query you submit.

#6 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 03:30 AM

Art,
Thank you for your response!
I agree I failed that time to submit a proper query. I am still discovering this topic. When I understand more, I will come with a better question! ☺️

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:00 PM

Panagiotis:

Some years ago I worked on getting all related pressure drop related information from the web page I recently identified to you.  However, because of personal issues and priorities, I was unable to finish what I intended.  I've now taken some time and finished that chore.

To give you all the fluid flow information related to pipe fittings, valves, and line size changes, I've put together the attached 30-page document to help you understand what you have brought up as subject matter in this query.

As your favor to me, it would make me feel more confident of the work quality I've produced in downloading the information if you could spend some of your time in carefully checking the accuracy of the tables that I've had to reconstruct for the Kv, Cv and K values - especially the 3K table I have had to reconstruct due to the inability of the site allowing me to copy their table in an accurate manner.  I believe this document will answer your questions on the subject.  In fact, I would sincerely be grateful to anyone checking and proofing the document and its tables against what is in the website.  I find the website did good work in presenting all the information - but did a rather sloppy job of organizing and presenting it for easy and logical reading and comprehension.

Attached File  K Method for Pressure Loss From Fittings.docx   385.89KB   32 downloads

#8 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 04:19 AM

Art,
Thank you so much for sharing your document with me. I will go through it and I will come back to you with my feedback and questions! ☺️