Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump Calculation For Internal Floating Roof

tank pump internal floating roof

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gugusalgifari

gugusalgifari

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:36 PM

Dear all,

I was recentle given a project to calculate the pump power needed to circulate water into a tank (dia.60 m) with an internal floating roof in the form of iron weighing 180 tons with a pipe diameter of 0.219 m. I'm stuck in calculations, kindly anyone help me?

Best regards,

Attached Files

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

Are you a student or an engineer? Don't duplicate post.

I misunderstood your drawing and went to the wrong direction, thinking no need for the pump.

The flow is from the pond to the tank, right?

The calculation is not different from other pump, except you have additional pressure due to the weight of the floating roof.

The discharge head should take into account the head loss of the piping, the entrance to the tank, the static head of water (max 14 meters) and the pressure of the floating roof expressed in meter of liquid.

For the suction head you need to consider the head of the liquid from the pump (suction lift) and the head loss of the suction line. level zero should be the pump center line. 

note: No info about the flow rate.

Probably good to review Bernoulli and Darcy Weisbach equations.

Show us your work and we will be able to comment.

Terima Kasih

Good luck,

Breizh 

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 01:50 AM

I was recentle given a project to calculate the pump power needed to circulate water into a tank (dia.60 m) with an internal floating roof in the form of iron weighing 180 tons with a pipe diameter of 0.219 m. I'm stuck in calculations, kindly anyone help me?

Hi,

What's your exact problem...?

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 01:05 PM

We really should not provide help to students for their assigned problems. This only interferes with their learning. Much of that learning is to develop analytical skills. Such is the case with this problem

Bobby