Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ro Sizing

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 T_bag

T_bag

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I am currently operating my system at design pressure of 810 PSIG. The system volume is low (~1m3). I want to depressurize my system using RO. 

Concerns :-

1. When depressurized in 15 minutes (as per API), the estimated RO size is too less (3mm) and which is not acceptable due to risk of clogging.

2. When depressurized with minimum acceptable RO size (7mm), the depressurization time is 2 minutes. (too less, the depressurization rate is very high).

Please advise a solution. Does multiple RO in series can help ? 

Edited by T_bag, 27 February 2024 - 11:52 AM.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:12 PM

Does multiple RO in series can help ? 

Yes.  Choose minimum acceptable RO size and calculate how many are needed in series.

There are other, less noisy ways, like a DRAG valve, but I do not know if it is applicable to you.

#3 T_bag

T_bag

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:39 PM

Does multiple RO in series can help ? 

Yes.  Choose minimum acceptable RO size and calculate how many are needed in series.

There are other, less noisy ways, like a DRAG valve, but I do not know if it is applicable to you.

I am using UNISIM blowdown utility tool. can you help/ guide on how I should be approaching multiple RO requirement. What should be the discharge pressure of say first RO (If I am depressurizing the system to 100 PSIG in fire case). FYI it's a gaseous system.

Edited by T_bag, 27 February 2024 - 12:42 PM.

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:56 PM

My multiple RO sizing experience was on liquids, to prevent cavitation.  Let's see if someone with multiple RO sizing experience with gases comes along to help you.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 03:12 PM

Set the discharge pressure of the first orifice sized at 7 mm. Then progress downstream with the same calculation for subsequent orifices. If you register at my website, you can download software for sizing orifices.

Bobby