Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flow Sheet For Milk Powder Production?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 phrase

phrase

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:21 PM

Hi!

This is my first post... I was searching in the internet for a flow sheet to milk powder production plant, and I found this forum...

I'm a portuguese student. 2nd year.

I've been requested for this flowsheet, i didn't find it anywhere!

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 December 2003 - 11:34 AM

You could just try looking into what equipment is required for milk production, and then draw your own flowsheet.

If you're producing it from raw milk, then there'll be raw milk storage tanks/skimming tanks (where you skim off the dairy fat that naturally separates out and sell some at a premium, keep some for blending. Somewhere there'll be blending tanks to blend the correct amount of fat back into some different milk feeds (skimmed, semi-skimmed, full-fat), probably stirred to form some sort of pre-emulsion.

There will be some sort of homogenisers for forming the final emulsion (I believe pressure-type homogenisers are used, such as the Gaulin homogenisers made by APV).

Importantly, there will be heat-treatment steps in there - remember that milk can be pasteurised, sterilised, or UHT.

Powdered milk is usually skimmed, I believe. To dry it, you could use a spray-drier, for example. I don't know if comminution (size reduction) is necessary to obtain a more uniform particle size, but keep it in mind. You'll also need to move it around, so maybe blowing the solids (but beware the hazards of aerating solids) or using some sort of auger feed to move it to the packagin line is needed, in addition to the usual pumps etc that will be needed.

I'd imagine a milk plant like this wouldn't produce only dried milk - I'd imagine there would be common skimming tanks (to produce the dairy fat you'll sell/later blend into the different milk types), homogenisers for producing skimmed, semi-skimmed and full fat milk, some skimmed milk being sent off for heat treatment and drying, and a liquid milk packaging line. I'd also imagine that all three heat treatment options may be available.

It's possible also to set up one continuous line, and operate it in short campaigns, each one to produce one variety of milk - e.g. liquid pasteurised semi-skimmed milk one run, dried UHT'd skimmed milk the next. You can reduce capital cost that way.

In terms of heat treatment, you could go for scraped-surface exchangers, or tube-in-tube (serpentine) for longer treatment times, or possibly a batch tank with scrapers and varying heating capacity, with an upstream buffer/holding tank allowing you to operate the heater batch continuously. In that way, you could size on unit to perform more than one operation (in terms of final temperature, holding time), and deal with the continuous flow by sizing the buffer tank to handle the worst case in terms of backup. Note that the heater will have to be pressurised to stop the milk boiling if you try to sterilise that way.

You could also use a retort for treating in bottles.

Note that you'll probably have to fill liquid milk hot, so as to treat the packaging as well. Materials of construction for the plant, pipes etc would typically be stainless steel, probably 316. Black nitrile rubber (in pumps) can go 'gummy' when pumping food oils, so go for something like viton, if you're required to go into that much detail.

You should be able to do some more research and draw yourself a preliminary flowsheet from this - that's what process design is all about!