Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Valves

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sammy p

sammy p

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

i was wondering. i remember it was explained once to me. if a valve either increases or decreases the area for the fluid to flow then howcome the change in presssure will not just get larger and the speed fastger and the flow rate remain constant?

thanks

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

Sammy:

First off, it’s not your English; it’s your explanation that is horrible and I think that is why you are getting your fluid characteristics confused. I’m assuming you are a university-level Chemical Engineering student.

What I think you mean is:
As a fluid valve is either opened or shut, its orifice for flow is getting bigger or smaller. As the valve opens more, the pressure drop across the valve becomes less. As the valve closes more, the pressure drop across the same valve becomes greater.

Under the above conditions, the fluid cannot be maintained at a constant flow rate – using the same valve and pipe size. This is analogous to choking a person around the neck. The more you choke, the less words he/she can speak. The less you choke, the more he/she can say to warn you that it hurts.

As you throttle a valve (close down on it) you increase the pressure drop across it and make it harder for the fluid to flow. The result is less fluid. There is a factor used to measure this effect. It is called the CV factor and it is used to designate the capacity of various types of valves.

The average velocity flowing through the valve is incidental. It is the average velocity in the associated piping that is used as a guideline – and here, the cross-sectional area is constant and thus the average velocity is kept constant for a given amount of volumetric fluid capacity. Here, I’m assuming that we are discussing a liquid fluid, not a gaseous fluid (otherwise categorized as non-compressible and compressible flow).

#3 JBradley

JBradley

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

Aww - I think it was a bit harsh calling your explanation horrible!!! smile.gif I think I understood anyway.

It would depend on how you're pumping the liquid through the valve. If it's a centrifugal pump then, from looking at the pump curve, the volumetric throughput will drop as the pressure is increased (i.e. the valve closed (or constricted I guess I should say)). Which is why the velocity through the valve doesn't just increase.

If you have a positive displacement pump then you'll get just what you said. The valve will close and to conserve the mass balance the liquid velocity will just increase local to the valve. But a flow control valve for a PD pump wouldnt be in-line, you'd put it in a return loop.