Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Analysis Of Water Concentration In Diesel Oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Andree

Andree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

Dear all,

Could somebody give me advise, how to measure water content in hydrocarbon liquid (for example in diesel fuel)? I found that a standard method is Karl Fischer coulometric titration - could somebody provide me details of this analysis, and what equipment is needed to perform this (using standards for ASTM D-1744)? To be honest I have no analytical laboratory available and need to measure this - what do I need to purchase?

I suppose that this method gives information on total water. Is there any technique which allow to estimate a free (non-dissolved) water concentration?
Of course: total - solubility = free water, but the solubility must be known and I do not know this (and how it changes with temperature).

Regards,
Andrzej

#2 JMW

JMW

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

Visit Kitiwake or any of the fuel test laboratory web sites and you will find them able to answer this.
Kitiwake produce a fuel test kit for use on board vessels or in power stations.
Many of the fuel test companies (e.g. DNV PS, SGS, Viswa Lab include some of the information you are looking for.

QUOTE (Andree @ Jan 9 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all,

Could somebody give me advise, how to measure water content in hydrocarbon liquid (for example in diesel fuel)? I found that a standard method is Karl Fischer coulometric titration - could somebody provide me details of this analysis, and what equipment is needed to perform this (using standards for ASTM D-1744)? To be honest I have no analytical laboratory available and need to measure this - what do I need to purchase?

I suppose that this method gives information on total water. Is there any technique which allow to estimate a free (non-dissolved) water concentration?
Of course: total - solubility = free water, but the solubility must be known and I do not know this (and how it changes with temperature).

Regards,
Andrzej

#3 contextion

contextion

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

ASTM says you can use a cetrifuge