Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

A Problem In Designing A Heat Exchanger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jull

jull

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Hello!

I am a third year student in mechanical engineering at local university in Malaysia.I am having a problem regarding the chapter in GAS POWER CYCLE and Heat Exchanger process. I've been trying to figure out and find the suitable solution for our design project in thermodynamic based on these two topics. The question is :

THE EXHAUST gas from a 10,000kW diesel is to be used to heat water at 700kPa from 80°C to 120°C. The exhaust gases are available at 300°C. Determine the flow rate of water and design the heat exchanger to accomplish the output.

What statement should I use and what critical assumption that I need to mention?

Thanks in advance!

JULL

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

Jull:

I don't understand your question.

There is NO STATEMENT to make and no critical assumptions to take. As I understand it, you have been assigned to resolve a typical engineering problem. You have been obviously given all the Basic Data required or you have been told how to acquire the necessary Basic Data to resolve the problem.

The next step you should immediately do is to sit down and study the assigned problem, taking into consideration what Basic Data you need to resolve the problem and comparing that need to what you have available or can obtain. Once you verify you have sufficient Basic Data to resolve the problem, you should make an outline of the steps you propose to take to arrive at the engineering solution.

The majority of these steps will probably be math calculations based on thermodynamic principles that you have been taught or assigned to learn and practice. That's the way to resolve the problem.

From the Basic Data you have shared with us, I can see that your basic problem assignment is a simple one. It involves calculating the sensible heat that can be recovered from the generator's exhaust gas stream and used to heat water - probably Waste Heat Boiler Feedwater (if I guess correctly).

Now that I've addressed your questions, do you have any further problems with proceeding?