Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Low Temperature Separation Unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ishams

ishams

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hi there,

I'm studying the natural gas processing and having stuck at what will happen if the top overhead gas of Demethanizer is falling down to the very low temperature which is then going into the compressor suction. Is it a material concern or the top product requirement. Could somebody help me?

cheers rolleyes.gif

#2 ashetty

ashetty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hello,

What pressures & temperatures are we talking about here?

Are we cooling the demethanizer overhead to recover ethane from the demethanizer overhead?

I dont know what the material concern is. Can you please clarify?

#3 ishams

ishams

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi ashetty,

Thanks for the response. My case is Demethanizer at 28 bar and -90 Deg C. Yes, you got it right; I'm talking about chill down process to extract ethane from feed gas.

The material is my guess and I might be wrong. The only point that I would like to get here is what will happen is the DeC1 overhead is suddenly gone too cold.

cheers rolleyes.gif

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

ishams:

If you don't furnish ALL the basic data details, you can't expect a correct response. You must know, as every other ChE, that NGL (Natural Gas Liquids) plants vary in type of process and the configuration of their major equipment. You haven't even given us a hint as to what engineering firm designed your demethanizer unit. It stands to reason that we can't comment on what could be a safety or hazardous issue if you don't furnish all the details in the form of a detailed flow diagram or, preferably, an as-built P&ID - with a completed mass flow and temp & pressures.

We are all engineers on this Forum and it is impossible to quantify "what will happen is the DeC1 overhead is suddenly gone too cold?". Do what an engineer should do: state the specific pressures and temperatures - before and after.

With the above mentioned basic data, we can attempt to analyze your query.