Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Placement Of Vortex Breaker In A Vertical Separator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 delphitt

delphitt

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi all,

I need to put a vortex breaker in a vertical separator. How do i determine the distance from the nozzle for placement? Is there is standard or rule of thumb?

Your guidence is much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Sophia

#2 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

I have seen them installed either right against the outlet nozzle (i.e. no clearance) or lifted 50 to 80 mm. Mostly it depends on the contents of the vessel and the need for draining. If the liquid is a slurry I would lift the vortex breaker off the bottom to allow flushing and draining. If you are using a proprietary unit then follow the supplier's recommendation.

#3 delphitt

delphitt

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hi,
Thanks so much for yor responce.
The liquid i'm working with is condensate so i think the 50-80mm would be ok ofr an initial estimate.

Thanks again,
Sophia

#4 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

Sophia,

Vortex breaker can be flushing and non-flushing type. Flushing type is the type that indicated by katmar. General purpose.

Non-flushing type is applicable to those fluid with solid i.e condensate with sand particle. The sand and particle is preferably to settle at the bottom of separator rather than flushing into the downstream equipment. Thus, non-flushing type is used.

#5 delphitt

delphitt

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (JoeWong @ Nov 3 2008, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sophia,

Vortex breaker can be flushing and non-flushing type. Flushing type is the type that indicated by katmar. General purpose.

Non-flushing type is applicable to those fluid with solid i.e condensate with sand particle. The sand and particle is preferably to settle at the bottom of separator rather than flushing into the downstream equipment. Thus, non-flushing type is used.

Hi,
Thanks Joe,
I will specify this in my design because i haven't seen any deposits in the separators for this service. Usually it's water with traces of methanol and ethanol from the process.

Regards,
Sophia