Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Glycol Loses

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Miguel

Miguel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

hello,
i would like to know if glycol loses (TEG) increase with pressure in absorption dehydration towers ?

regards

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

For a properly designed and operated system, the answer is: NO
Foaming induced by high pressure operation is something related to distillation towers, where liquid and vapor phases are in equilibrium across the tower. In such cases, foaming is followed by losses of liquid in the overhead vapor stream.

If inlet separator is designed to handle feed gas the way it should, and if lean glycol temperature is 5-10F above the feed gas temperature, glycol losses in absorber tower will be minor (as usual).

#3 Miguel

Miguel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

thank you zauderberg.

i would like to know what is a standard aceptable, % of glycol loss in a dehydration system

#4 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

From separation perspective, high pressure would lead to higher carry over.
In TEG column, foaming has more concern than ordinary gas carry over.

Increase pressure in TEG also results higher operating pressure in upstream separator. Higher pressure in upstream separator lead to more HC carry over into TEG column and subsequently lead to more potential of foaming in TEG column. Foaming in TEG will cause higher carry over.

Above is just a analysis. However, it your system operating envelop has captured high pressure operating mode, then don't see issue.

#5 Miguel

Miguel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

thank you Mr. Wong

ive simulated my process, subject ive treated here some posts before this one, and i have a total glycol loss of 0.326 gal/MMSCF , ive investigated online, and ive read that 0.1gal/MMSCF is a normal standard for glycol loss i would like confirmation on that, and i would like to know if my losses are aceptable

thank you very much for your responses.

regards

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

http://www.cheresour...?showtopic=5040

Process simulators are quite unreliable for predicting TEG operation parameters (and glycol losses as well).
If your number comes from the simulator, I wouldn't pay much attention about it.