Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Waste Heat Recovery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chau

chau

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

Daer all

Saluttion

I am working as a Mech engineer in cement plant. I got to accomplish a task ie Design execution of waste heat recovery boiler. In current cyclic condn of market in cement , one has to incline towards multiapproach strategy to revive themsleves in market.

In cement plant we have two heat source preheater and cooler . Decisively we get the enough heat with temp 340Deg c to generate steam .

What my wary is , how to design the turbine specification for the same system . Is there any spreadsheet for same. I do have all input parameter req to design Boiler, Turbine, Generator, But our lack of approach towards the concepts makes me pose to accompany my task.

I googled a lot but as expected googling does not always enlightens the specificity. What i need is your considerable concern of any design spreadsheet to specify boiler,turbine.

Awaiting for your valuable reply

Regards
GUDDU

#2 astro

astro

Gold Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:44 AM

Guddu

I personally don't have a pre-prepared datasheet to help you - I think I'd need more details of your application anyway. Engineering consultants/contractors make their money from repeat business where they brush off files from the "ones they prepared earlier" pile. If you don't have that, it's a best endeavours approach for you.

The foundation standard for steam turbines are API STD 611 (general purpose) and API STD 612 (special purpose). Suggest you get copies and cuddle up to them.

The former caters for non-critical turbines (read spared) working up to nominally, 48barg, 400degC and 6000rpm. I'm working from the 4th ed, June 1997. The standard may have been updated but engineering is a fairly constant world, so I'd expect this to still apply. The latter (612) addresses the areas not covered by 611, i.e. critical, non-spared turbines and / or those machines at the high performance end of the spectrum.

There are also industry standards for steam quality that are relevant. See here for a various discussions on boiler water / steam quality:
Steam quality primer
BW / Steam Quality
GE Steam Purity
Steam turbine deposition, erosion, and corrosion

You could also have a look at Norsok:
http://www.standard....s/R-Mechanical/

I'll leave you to scour the net for more information. At least the above should get you well on the way to working up your own datasheet. Suggest you post up your end product so that we can offer constructive suggestions for improvement.

Best of luck.

#3 chau

chau

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:25 AM

Dear Astra

First of all i would thanks fro your generosity to get me on the right track.

Look i have something to have your concern over to get the impeccable panecia for my solution. As i said we been in cement industry can get the enough heat source to generate power, Heat source with operating conditions is below:

[Refer to attached document for Flue Gas Data - A. Montemayor]

Now lets start with the boiler design.
In boiler we have to finalize and size the shell and tube with all geometrical analasis ie tube thickmess, deltap, shell and tube dia . This inturn nedd to have considerable technical approach to feed the input with more specificity . But houw the start the process something gets me to have panecia from the experts like you. Remember notebly we are talking about boiler so kindly have you concern over the boiler only.

Again, ours power generation scope will be not more than 14 MW - which gives the sense for steam pressure around 140 PSIA

My wary is how to tailor the sequence the design process to sizing the boiler spec. Iam inclined to believe on your saying for present market approach, and indeed it willl be more accentuation oint to get the people over the concrete benchmark of tech stuff . It would not only patronage the people but rather gives the condensed information to get them to right track

Thanks in anticipation
GUDDU
Attached File  Flue_Gas_Data.doc   26KB   54 downloads