Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flowline Psv Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Zack Adam

Zack Adam

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:30 AM

Hi,

Really need your experties advice...

How to size the PSV for the flowline? I have seen one of our design consultant qouted that the governing case is SSV leakage. I am not so sure since I could not find such case in API 520.

Regards
Zack unsure.gif unsure.gif

#2 Zack Adam

Zack Adam

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

Sorry, I have made a mistake on the Flowline PSV Sizing....

It should be called Production Header PSV Sizing....

How to size the PSV for the Production Header ? I have seen one of our design consultant qouted that the governing case is SSV leakage. I am not so sure since I could not find such case in API 520.

Regards
Zack
unsure.gif unsure.gif

#3 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

Please define "SSV" and be a bit more specific. Sounds like a leaking control valve or such. Yes?

#4 Zack Adam

Zack Adam

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:05 AM

Dear Phi...

SSV is a surface safety valve (shutdown valve). To my knowledge, I never come across any of the SSV that will cause any overpressure in production header.

Regards

Zul unsure.gif

#5 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

Zack,
I think the situation you describe is common in oil production facilities, especially when producing from high pressure reservoirs. You normally flow from a well through various safety-required open/close valves and through a "choke". Downstream of the choke, the pressure is much lower, and often so is the design pressure of piping and equipment.

One of the key overpressure hazards that must be examined is what happens when the outlet side of things gets isolated; e.g. a block valve closed. If all valves worked perfectly, this would not be a problem. However, there will be leakage through "closed" valves, which are the devices intended to isolate the well from the production header. (No one expects the choke valve to be leak-tight.) Thus you must consider the case where a downstream valve is closed (and it seals perfectly), but there is leakage through your primary line of defense against overpressure - the SSV. You then design a PSV to protect the piping and equipment from this hazard.
HTH,
Doug

#6 muralimuthu

muralimuthu

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (Zack Adam @ Dec 29 2005, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

How to size the PSV for the flowline? I have seen one of our design consultant qouted that the governing case is SSV leakage. I am not so sure since I could not find such case in API 520.

Regards
Zack unsure.gif unsure.gif

Hi,

Flowline PSV sizing willl be of blocked case. no need of doing other cases, just check it should not cross crical pressure and temperature of the fluid while sizing

regards,
M.Murali
process Engineer,
Petrofac

#7 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (muralimuthu @ Dec 21 2008, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Flowline PSV sizing willl be of blocked case. no need of doing other cases, just check it should not cross crical pressure and temperature of the fluid while sizing

Agree with blocked discharge case.

Any specific reason should not cross critical pressure ?
What to do if cross critical pressure ?