Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Porous Spargers For N2 Blanketing

blanketing nitrogen sparger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 lalitv

lalitv

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Nitrogen is used in blanketing to improve workplace safety and maintain product quality. We are designing the porous spargers of 19 mm OD tubular. We tested a few for some Solvent tanks and the results are very promising.

One of the ring sparger we deviced is as shown in the image below. We installed this at the bottom of the 2.5 meter diameter tank. 

Does any one have more experience on this range of product and design considerations? 

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

One of the ring sparger we deviced is as shown in the image below.
It seems that you forgot to upload the image.

#3 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

If you search this site you will find previous posts on "sparge". I also remember seeing articles on the internet back in the late 1990's but I don't have that reference now.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Lalitv,

Consider the documents attached .

Breizh

#5 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Nice resources breizh!

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Thanks , just about sharing !

Breizh

#7 lalitv

lalitv

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thankyou Breizh - I already have these documents from Mott. I am also working with GKN who has made some interesting designs for sparging.

Will check the site and find more. Thankyou for your help

#8 lalitv

lalitv

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Pingpong , I am new to this, so will figure out uploading images soon.

#9 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Once again, our Forums are in debt to Breizh for some excellent informational uploads.

I have used porous media spargers a lot in my plant engineering days of yesteryear.  In my experience, the type of spargers inferred in this topic are SINTERED METAL spargers.  There are now a lot of fabricators of this type of excellent sparger, but some of them are newcomers to the market.  The characteristics of this type of sparger make it mandatory for the user to ensure that the media being used in the sparger is ABSOLUTELY CLEAN and devoid of any solids.  These items are made of sintered brass, bronze, and now stainless steel.  When put into actual use, they will eventually plug up due to the very fine pores that they exhibit.  Because of this, it should be planned to replace them for disuse or to clean them up.  Sometimes, it is not possible to justify cleaning them up for continued use.  It is very important to employ reliable pressure monitoring gauges upstream of the spargers to detect when they start to plug.  The use of SS as a material of construction is very attractive - but if you really don't need it and can get away with brass, then use this because the cost of replacing them will be much less.

When applied conrrectly they furnish a very nice and homogeous distribution of gentle bubbles that saturate the parent liquid or fluid very well.  A gentle simmering action is obtained and the mixing is very efficient.