Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Career Path Help Needed.

nasa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 UofUChemE

UofUChemE

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:27 AM

So, I'm new to this forum. I'm starting my undergrad this spring at the University of Utah in Chemical Engineering( I spent the last few semesters getting my math caught up while finishing my Gen EDS). Ultimately my goal is to work for NASA in some function as a ChemE but I'm not entirely sure if there is anything I can do during my undergrad studies that would help me be more attractive to them as a potential candidate.

Is there anything that you guys can think of that I can do that would help that out(internships, school full time with no job etc.)

I've also heard that when you apply for jobs, internships or even grad school they actually like to see that you've been working any job while putting yourself through school. Is this true?

Finally since my dream job is to work for NASA would a PHD be the best route and what would be your advice to prepare for grad school.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,

UofU ChemE

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

A PhD is not necessary to work at NASA. Contact NASA and let them know of your interest. Try several routes until you get someone to give you advice. You can find a lot of potential contacts through NASA Tech Briefs (free subscription at http://www.techbriefs.com/). A lot of work with NASA is through contracted engineering and not directly paid by the US Gov't.