Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vent Mast Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gunji

gunji

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

HI

Do you have any idea how to size & simulate on flarenet a Vent mast where it disharge a process flow (mix of C1,C2,C3)??

I know there is a topic on this but the only parameter is on the sonic velocity. I wonder if there is any other parameter involving the discharged gas. 

Also i am using flarenet and i need to enter specifications & curves that i don't have such as, depending on the molecular weight, the flow vs the pressure loss. I wonder if i request a vent mast datasheet, will I have these informations. If not how do i fill these where specifications.

Thank you for your responses if any

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

I don't think the curves are mandatory input for Flarenet, if I remember well.

Apart from sonic velocity, I would look for back pressure on relief sources and if the given size of cold vent is affecting relief rates from any of the sources.

Since you are discharging non-ignited gas, make sure you look at dispersion of compounds at the grade level for all discharge scenarios and ambient conditions. This will show if there is any chance for secondary ignition.

Refer to API 521 paragraph 6.3. "Atmospheric discharge" for more information.

#3 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

You do not need a vent scrubber to eliminate large liquid droplet because your vent tip has no flare combustion issues due to liquid slugs.

#4 gunji

gunji

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

thanks for the answer

@shan, in my case no liquid at all. It's just about the input of a vent mast in flarenet :)