Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

C5+ Recovery From Injection Gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hello to everyone,

I'm looking for applicable technologies/vendors for condensate recovery from injection gas - technologies based on solid bed adsorption and membrane systems.

Injection gas is very lean (about 3.5% weight of C5+), so mechanical refrigeration and turbo-expander plant are not attractive - which makes adsorption and membranes to be favorite options. In addition, acid gas content is quite high (3.5% weight H2S and 27% weight CO2, saturated with water). Only C5+ fraction is of interest for recovery. Injection gas pressure is 100bar, and the temperature is 50C. Net flowrate is about 4,000,000 Sm3/day.

I have some information about Shell/Engelhard's SORDECO adsorption process, but I would like to include other technologies as well, in order to find the best solution.

Any feedback from forum members is appreciated.
Best regards,

#2 peeyar

peeyar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

UOP has a process called Memgaurd which they use up stream of their membrane unit
regds
PEEYAR

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

Thanks Peeyar,

It's interesting I haven't got any response from UOP on my query, and I'm guessing what can be the reason: either the gas is too sour, or the operating pressure is too high. From what I know, membrane systems are limited for pressures up to 60bar, and many of them are limited with capacities as well. High acid gas content makes the process even more complex due to special requirements for materials of construction. Gas Sweetening Unit equipment, for example, will be cladded with Alloy 825 while piping will be made of solid Alloy 825, as usual.

However, I found some really interesting technologies available in the market - mostly adsorption-based. Turboexpander units offer some advantages but they call for special design as well, due to abovementioned high acid gas content.

Best regards,

#4 wilsonhdz

wilsonhdz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Zauberberg @ Aug 31 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello to everyone,

I'm looking for applicable technologies/vendors for condensate recovery from injection gas - technologies based on solid bed adsorption and membrane systems.

Injection gas is very lean (about 3.5% weight of C5+), so mechanical refrigeration and turbo-expander plant are not attractive - which makes adsorption and membranes to be favorite options. In addition, acid gas content is quite high (3.5% weight H2S and 27% weight CO2, saturated with water). Only C5+ fraction is of interest for recovery. Injection gas pressure is 100bar, and the temperature is 50C. Net flowrate is about 4,000,000 Sm3/day.

I have some information about Shell/Engelhard's SORDECO adsorption process, but I would like to include other technologies as well, in order to find the best solution.

Best regards,

#5 wilsonhdz

wilsonhdz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Zauberberg @ Aug 31 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello to everyone,

Best regards,

What happen with this case? This is a membrane application. Others technologies will result in a very large plants and energy demand compared to Membranes which have no movement parts. You will need to pretreat the gas in case you use Glassy type alone (like memguard pretreatment of UOP) in order to avoid a dew point for the gas during separation process, but a Combination of Rubbery and Glassy membrane can separate the buck of CO2 and, in the same process, the H2S and Water.
You can recover the natural gas and make a reinjection of the remaining CO2 (with H2S).
100 bar can be handled for membrane application. The product gas will be at high pressure, and CO2 at low pressure, then you will need to recompress the CO2 at reinjection pressure which has a very low LHV). You can ask to www.pro-therm.net

#6 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

Dear Zauberberg,
Just a wild thought Is there any potential to utilizeEthanol& Methanol/Slightly (NaOH) alkaline water admixture to be bubbled through with the Gas stream in question thus yielding a two phase(aquous,Non-aquous) products stream.

Hope/Envisage that alcohols should capture most of the C5+ contents in the Non-aquous upper layer.

Whereas Aquous Layer should arrest most of the sour gas undesiables like H2S,CO2.

Definitely its just/merely a thought provocating idea only.

Sorry if it seems ir-rationale or disturbing.